J D Northey Lectures
A distinguished theological educator and leader, the Rev J D Northey was ordained into the Congregational Union of South Australia in 1916 and continued to offer distinguished service in ministry in that state and in Melbourne until 1971.
Rev Northey served as President of the Congregational Union of Victoria, Principal of the Congregational College of Victoria and President of the Melbourne College of Divinity, forerunner of the University of Divinity.
In memory of his ministry, the Congregational Union of Victoria established a fund to ‘enable theologians to travel to Melbourne’. Pilgrim is delighted to be able to continue the role of inviting visitors who can enrich our local theological conversation and, in the particular terms of the bequest, ‘open out the theological learning for the enjoyment of more and more people’.
2018 Northey Lecturers
- Christine Helmer, Professor of German and Religious Studies, Northwestern University
- Gerald West, Senior Professor of Biblical Studies, University of KwaZulu-Natal
- Beverley Haddad, Senior Research Associate in Theology and Development, University of KwaZulu-Natal
2014 Northey Lecturers
- Mike Higton, Professor of Theology and Ministry, University of Durham
- Dr Musa Dube, Professor of New Testament, University of Botswana
- Stephen Plant, Lecturer in Theology and Ethics, Cambridge Faculty of Divinity